Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Parc Guell and La Fuente Magica

This past weekend was pretty productive in terms of getting out and seeing the sites. We went to Parc Guell, which is a park Gaudi designed in an attempt to create a park that doesn't interrupt nature. It's in a really high part of the city and is absolutely gorgeous. Here's a look at the climb you have to make from the metro station:Sure, a lot of it is escalator, but there must be at least... forty stairs.

This is a really neat walkway - those are stone pillars. Thus far, this was probably one of the coolest features of the park I've seen... We didn't spend much time there, as it was getting dark, so I'll be back to explore with my family and Ann Marie.

La Fuente Magica is out in front of the National Museum of Catalonian art [see below]. On Friday and Saturday nights, for an hour, they turn on all the fountains on both sides of the street leading up to the Museum as well as the main fountain, which puts on an amazing display including colored lights. Also, they have seven or eight search lights turned on behind the Museum - the whole effect is incredible, and really is nothing like the pictures I took. Here's one shot:If this photo weren't so blurry, you'd be able to tell that this is a view from the Museum, looking out on Plaza Espanya with the Fuente Magica in front and the side fountains lining the street.

That's all for now; everything is going very well here. My wrist is covered with red lines from Chester's onslaughts, but I'm developing a sixth sense about when he's going to strike.

Classes are very enjoyable. Not having the pressure of daily assignments definitely makes it easier to appreciate them, but we'll see how I feel when I have to write papers summarizing three months' notes.

I'm not decided for sure on which classes I'm going to take, and will be posting more about them when I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home