Sunday, February 05, 2006

Andalucia.

Sorry for being out of touch recently; I spent the last week in Andalucia with the group as part of our orientation. We spent two days each in Granada, Sevilla, and Córdoba studying different styles of architecture.

Everything was wonderful. I learned a bunch about architecture, though I still appreciate cathedrals primarily because they're huge. Here's my favorite picture from the trip; this is the cathedral in Sevilla:



The city was really beautiful, as well as Córdoba. Both probably have less than ten streets that are more than six feet wide. I only saw one SUV during the whole week, and had to duck in a doorway so it could pass on the street.


Here's a picture from inside the Alhambra, looking at the famous Sala de Leones. Notice the thin pilars with corinthian-style capiteles, which were utilized to create more space. But how can there be likenesses of animals in Arab architecture? Anyone knows that it's against Islamic law to represent God (and also to use animals in art). Well, this palace is the mudéjar style, which means it was built using an Arab style but for use by.....

Just kidding. I thought I'd give you a taste of what class was like all week.


The amphitheatre at Itálica, an ancient Roman city outside Granada.


Chester, Robi's insane cat, hiding in my suitcase and planning his next attack.


Another view from outside of the Alhambra, and probably one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

Other than the trip, there's not much to report right now. Classes start tomorrow and I'm sure there will be more to report soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home